ATMAT for Pregnancy
ATMAT is a simple and effective massage brought to us by Dr. Rosita Arvigo as taught to her by traditional Central American midwives. The massage tonifies the uterine muscles, allowing for better coordination during labor and after birth. Practitioners who have been applying these techniques for pregnancy report the following:
- Improved digestion with better elimination
- Relief of many discomforts of pregnancy
- Reduction of tension and anxiety
- Decrease in edema
- Decrease in round ligament and back pain
- Improved positioning of uterus allowing baby more options for optimal positioning
- Improved alignment of pelvic bones which play an important part in labor and delivery
- Increased efficiency of labor and birth
An ideal schedule of sessions for prenatal massage would be at least once a month during the second and third trimesters with weekly visits during the last month of pregnancy.
ATMAT also helps to enhance fertility prior to pregnancy through optimal uterine position and improve healing during the postpartum period.