Is that a true statement for you? The holidays can bring joy and happiness but sometimes stress as well.
This is my reminder to you to take care of yourself as much as possible during the holidays (always would be great, too). We do so much as women to make the holidays special for others that we sometimes forget to treat ourselves well. Try to use a few of these ideas to make your holiday a little more enjoyable.
1. Listen to your body. Which brings us to numbers 2, 3, 4 and 5.
2. If you are tired, rest. Try to get to bed by 10 or 10:30 each night (as I write this at 11:46 pm). If you follow your body’s natural rhythm you will feel better and stay healthier. (I will try if you will.) If you can’t get to bed on time try to take a 20 minute nap during the day.
3. If you are hungry, eat. Try to eat nourishing foods that you love. When we get busy we sometimes forget to eat, which let’s face it, does no one any good. It makes you feel lousy. Try to keep some good snacks like nuts, fruit or granola bars with you for those busy, all day shopping events. (or 3a. Do your shopping online in your bathrobe where you can eat as often as you want.)
4. If you are thirsty, drink. Actually, you should drink long before you get thirsty. Feeling tired can sometimes come with not being hydrated. Keep a reusable water bottle with you whenever you go out. Even better along with your healthy snacks.
5. Breathe. It sounds silly, but when we get tense we forget to breathe properly. By properly, I mean fully. Let your breath fill your belly, lungs and upper chest. No holding those tummies in, ladies!
6. Schedule time to do what you love, even for 15 minutes a day. Don’t feel guilty about reading, running, or chatting with a friend. Which brings me to …
7. Spend time with or talk to a good friend. One who really makes you feel good and brightens your day. That friendship is a blessing.
8. Stretch yourself. Use those stretches you learned in yoga class, aerobics class or high school gym class. Stretch for a few minutes in the morning or at night, or when you are feeling stressed. It will help you leave behind the chatter in your head and become present in your body.
9. Take a bath. Add ½ cup of salt, ½ cup of baking soda and a few drops of essential oil such as lavender to your bath water and soak your worries away. Just remember to lock the door to keep stragglers out.
10. Now you know I have to say get a massage here. How could I not? Massage will help rid you of your shopping and decorating aches and pains and bring you to a peaceful and grounded state. I will be going for my massage next week. And maybe the week after that, and the week after that…
I wish for you a happy, healthy and joyous holiday! For more ideas to help you maintain balance and wellness take a look at Five Easy Ways to Improve Your Health and Five Minutes to Care for Yourself.